Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Super Weekend Part 2


Written by TDERIGG2

The other day I promised a part 2 to this amazing article, well here it is folks!!

I want to talk about the greatest rivalry in the current sports being played in season today.

Im sure most of you are wondering whether it is Red Sox - Yankees, or Duke - UNC, or even Eagles, Cowboys.

But no, I'm talking about the sport of tennis, and the ridiculous rivalry going on between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

Now I wasn't a big tennis fan until I graduated high school. So I didn't really get to see the beginning of Roger's dominance. But when I graduated high school I became addicted to the sport. It really might be the most underrated sport in our landscape today. Every championship played is insanely exciting and definitely worth watching.

So when I woke up at 3:30 AM Saturday morning (or was it Sunday? Who knows when you get up in the middle of the night) I was extremely excited to watch this match between Roger and Rafa. So i got up, threw some cold water on my face, went and grabbed my Snuggie blanket from the other room...

(Random Note: Do not sleep on the Snuggie blanket, it really is the most comfortable blanket I've ever used. If you don't believe me try it, go ahead I dare you....Moore...try it...you wont. For those of you that don't know what the Snuggie is go to YouTube and type in "Snuggie." It might change your life)

I then got comfortable in my bed and began watching this historic match. For most of you who do not follow Tennis, here's the run down between Federer - Nadal. Federer was the best player in the world for years, and maybe ever. He has 13 Grand Slam titles and was unbeatable for years. Along came this young 19 year old Spaniard in the French Open 3 years ago. He takes the French open and everyone thinks "ehhh probably lucky." Rafa doesn't win another major until next years French, (Roger was busy taking all the other ones) and he wins the French again, beating Federer. The following year again he wins the French beating Federer again. Then on to Wimbledon this summer in which many people considered to be the best match ever played on grass, if not on any surface. Nadal wound up beating Federer in a 5 set ridiculous match. Then the following US Open,Federer took that championship.

So here we are back to the Australian Open. 5 setter. Of course. (Basically every Fed-Rafa match is now a days) And something happened in the fifth set, that leads me to believe that we could be seeing the downside of Federer's career start to happen. The 5th set got zero emotion out of Roger and no sense of urgency. Nadal basically cake-walked to the Australian Open Championship, and it occurred to me that maybe Federer is aging quickly. (27-28 in Tennis is like 34-35 in football) Nadal's quickness and resilience definitely got to Roger and as a result Nadal beat Federer on his bread and butter (Hard Court).

I don't know what's going to happen in the future, but I have a slight hunch Roger might be on a slippery slope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take the time to comment on this work of art!!!