Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tweet! Tweet!



In case you haven't heard, there is this new thing called, Twitter, on the Internet nowadays. If you haven't seen or used this lovely feature by now, let me be the first to tell you....you're missing out. Now, I joined Twitter this past weekend because I was bored out of my mind on Saturday night after I watched Lebron James prove to me that he is the second coming of Christ in human form. Seriously, David Stern, just give Cleveland the championship trophy right now, it's OK, go ahead...just save the rest of the league the embarrassment because Lebron is on an absolute mission. Anyway, back to Twitter. This service might be the most intelligent, genius, dumbest, most idiotic service I've ever seen. The premise is that you "Tweet" (hahaha, how old are we 3?) on your page and whoever follows you gets to see what you are doing all day. Great, just another thing we need to stalk people, like Facebook wasn't enough already. So while you're "Tweeting" (haha, I will laugh every time I hear or say that because I'm a 6 year old kid) you can also follow other people and see what they are 'Tweeting" about.

So when I registered this Twitter account I thought I was just going to find some of my friends on it and we were going to stalk out each others lives even more than we do already. But Lo and Behold, I find that nearly EVERY SINGLE major sports figure has one of these things. It was like finding out that everything you put on your Christmas list as a kid was underneath your tree in the morning. I mean, isn't this what we all want as "regular" people? We always want to see the latest gossip, news, fights, and drama that these celebrities and sports figures go through on an everyday basis. And now we have it streaming live to us whenever they feel like it. Take for example, my favorite Twitterite (Twitterean? Twitteran?), Shaqueille O'Neal. Every couple of hours or so Shaq posts on his twitter about what he's doing and it usually is hysterical. I sign on my name just to see what he's going to write because it's incredible. And don't think Shaq is the only one that does this. EVERYONE is on it. Currently I'm following: Shaq, Steve Nash, Peyton Manning, Terrell Owens, Baron Davis, Mark Sanchez, JR Smith, Michael Phelps, Carmelo Anthony, Champ Bailey, and Knowshon Moreno....and that's just the sports figures I've found in 3 days!! I've also found dozens of other celebrity-like figures such as: My favorite writer, Bill Simmons, Mark Titus - Club Trillion (great blog you should read), P-Diddy (funniest on twitter by far), Ashton Kutcher, Snoop Dogg, and ESPN's First Take.

The point I'm trying to get at is, how much closer can we possibly get to our athletes? Between Facebook, Myspace, and now Twitter the need for reporters and newspapers is just being thrown out the window with no regard. Why tune into the news or watch ESPN for an hour waiting to see the latest news on your favorite player when you can just sign on to Twitter and see exactly what every super-duper star is doing at every minute of the day. Availability of our athletes has become the most changed thing in the entire sports world, in my opinion. Gone are the day's of sideline reporting, newspaper columns and interviews and welcomed in now are the times of Twitter, YouTube, and Podcasts. The information can never come fast enough to us fans. E-mail has been replaced by Text messages because, quite frankly, E-mail is too slow. Radio shows have been replaced by Podcasts that can be downloaded and taken everywhere. And gone are interviews and replaced with Twitter. No longer do we need these "ancient" technologies that, 10 years ago, were the cream of the crop.

So for the time being I'm going to Tweet away on my Twitter page until the next amazing technology comes out in which we can telepathically know what each star is doing at every second of his or her life. That may seemed far fetched but 10 years ago....Twitter was far fetched.

________________________________________________________

You can follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/tderigg2 Or you can just read my posts on the right hand side of the page, I have them linked to my blog. Since we're talking about Twitter I'll hit you guys with a line from a new Remix I heard last week. It's Red Cafe, Jadakiss, P-Diddy, Fabolous, and OJ Da Juiceman on the Hottest in da Hood Remix. I've received advice that this may not be the best running segment I could choose (thanks professor!) but I'm going to stick it out and see if you guys like it. On to the lyrics from Fabolous' verse...

"Ayo Truthfully, how could they mistake you for me...
Your a joke, an imitation, a spoof of me.
Call the referee, I consider it foul,
They just...follow my swag, Twitter my style.
Knowin I can make it go down...No draino,
Son, I'll get all up in your a**....No rainbow."

HAHAHA....I'm the Hottest Blogger in Da Hooooooooood

___________________________________________________

Expect a guest blog post in the next week as a celebration of our 1000th visitor. That's right...we're doin big things at Chit-Chat Sports!

1 comment:

  1. "Between Facebook, Myspace, and now Twitter the need for reporters and newspapers is just being thrown out the window with no regard."

    As a print journalism major I feel the need to defend my craft, lol. There will always be a need for reporters. They have the writing skills to craft and put together long stories (and if you're good enough you can turn anything into a story). And while twitter makes the athletes available to anyone, they calculate what they say. Reporters ask the questions that they don't bring up (even if the answer is less than desirable sometimes).

    But great post man, I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Take the time to comment on this work of art!!!